Mary Smith Scholarship Fund
Since it was set up in 1936, the Mary Smith Scholarship Fund has awarded thousands of pounds of extra funds to students to help them pursue a career, course of study or other ambition.
Applications will reopen in early 2024.
The scheme has helped hundreds of young people from the Ashby area to further their career or educational aspirations, including trainee medic Megan Wardle, who applied for help to support her year working with London Air Ambulance (pictured above).
The scheme is open to anyone under 25 who lives in or around Ashby, or is a former student of either Ashby School or Ivanhoe High School.
This small fund normally gives grants in the region of £25 to £150 for individual applications at the discretion of its governors.
Money is allocated by the scheme's governors to provide:
- scholarships, bursaries or maintenance allowances for any approved school, university or other learning establishment. (It should be noted that Governors will not contribute to university tuition fees, accommodation or living expenses);
- financial aid to buy outfits, clothing, tools, instruments or books to help applicants prepare for, or enter, their chosen profession (this must be an item specific to the end goal rather than a generic piece of equipment, for instance, the fund cannot contribute towards the cost of laptops or similar devices);
- funds for applicants to travel abroad to pursue their education;
- financial help to study music or the arts;
- facilities of any kind not normally provided by the Local Authority, for recreation and social and physical training, including coaching in athletics, sports and games for anyone in primary, secondary or further education.
The fund does not cover travel costs or contribute towards school trips.
It is a condition of any award that a report is sent to the Governors by 31 December detailing how the money was spent. Governors will not consider applications from anyone who has previously received an award but not submitted a report.
Application forms are available from Ashby School in February of each year. The Mary Smith Fund was set up by Alderman Frederick Smith, an old boy of Ashby School. It is believed to be in memory of his mother, who was the wife of an Ashby upholsterer and a devoted member of the town’s Baptist Church.