Year 12 students starting Year 13 in August 2020
10 Jul 2020
You will be aware of Government plans for all students to return to school on a full time basis in the Autumn term. We have been planning how this can operate at Ashby School to provide as safe as environment as possible for all students and staff and still deliver the full curriculum that the students need.
You are aware that we were already re-modelling the school site so Year 13 students would be based full time on the Leicester Road campus. This will be complete in Autumn so we can create a post-16 bubble where students will have their own classrooms and facilities to reduce student interaction. We will send more detailed information, including a video tour guide during the holiday but some key points are:
• The Leicester Road campus will be for post-16 students
• For students walking or being driven to school the only entrance and exit they can use is the main Leicester Road entrance
• Students will be separated by Year group if travelling on a school bus and on arrival will move directly into their zone
• All lessons will be in a controlled number of classrooms to minimise movement
• The canteen will be fully open serving hot and cold food
• The hygiene routines that have been followed in the last four weeks will continue
We had already removed the split lunch for next year so all students will be on a single early lunch.
The first day back for Year 13 students will be Friday 28th August. This is a change from the original published date.
Our priority when students return will be to ensure that all students are able to quickly establish positive learning routines in school. Staff are currently working hard on re-designing the Year 13 programme of study to ensure that students have covered all the content required for the exams next summer. It has not been confirmed yet, but it is very likely the terminal exam season will now start in June rather than in May. This will give the students potentially another four weeks in school which is positive but it does mean the exams will run into July and could go beyond the last day of term as Leicestershire schools finish earlier than the rest of the country. Please be aware of this when booking holidays.
This has clearly been an unprecedented year in education and I'm sure your son/daughter will be glad to get back to a more familiar routine.
Please have a good summer break.