Return to school - January 2021
31 Dec 2020
Happy New Year, I hope you all managed to enjoy Christmas though I suspect it was probably quieter than normal.
Return to School
You will be aware from the news that the return to school plans have changed. Please see the details below.
· Year 10 students return on Monday 18th January
· Year 11 students return on Monday 11th January
· Year 12 students return on Monday 18th January
· Year 13 students return on Monday 11th January
While students are at home, lessons will be remote and will be a combination of live lessons through Teams and set tasks on the virtual school.
Lessons will follow the normal school timetable so please ensure your son or daughter is prepared and ready to access the lessons at the appropriate time.
Exceptions to this are vulnerable students and students of critical workers who may attend school from 5th January. If you are in a vulnerable category you will have been contacted already by one of the pastoral team.
If you are a critical worker and need to send your child in please let Mr Binns know by emailing him at email@example.com by 4th January.
Lessons will not be running as normal within school, any student who does attend will work in a supervised room and access the same lessons and work as students at home.
Roberts are not running the school buses between 5th and 8th so you will need to arrange transport and bring a packed lunch for those 4 days.
External examinations will continue to run as normal. Mr Newman will be in touch next week if your child is involved in these.
Year 11 mock examinations will start on 18th January as planned.
Covid 19 Mass Testing
We are currently planning to implement mass testing for students from the first week of their return. This will offer challenges but we do support the initiative as it should dramatically reduce the amount of time students are not in school.
Further information will be sent out next week but the key points are below
- Having a test is voluntary and you must give permission if your child is under 16. Over 16 the student will give their own permission but should discuss it with you. This permission can be withdrawn at any point
- A consent form will be sent out to you next week that must be returned by 8th January
- The test is done by the student themselves. It is a lateral flow test and involves the student using a swab to sample from their throat and a nostril. The sample will then be analysed by trained staff and a result returned within 30 minutes
- The test does not hurt
- Students would be tested twice, three days apart in the week that they return
- Years 11 and 13 students would have their first test on 11th or 12th January
- Years 10 and 12 students would have their first test on 18th or 19th January
- All students will have been tested twice by 22nd January.
- Future testing will focus on students who are identified as close contacts when there is a positive case. Rather than students having to self-isolate for 10 days they can have a daily test at the start of the school day for 7 consecutive school days and if the test is negative they join lessons as normal.
- All staff will be tested weekly which should reduce the need to self-isolate and be off school.