Instructions for A level results day - Tuesday 10 August
09 Jul 2021
Dear Parent/ Carer,
Please carefully read through this ahead of results day on Tuesday 10 August so that you are clear about the process for the day. A version of this letter has also been sent to students.
STEP 1 – Access Your Results
- Results will be available on the student portal from 8.30am on Tuesday 10 August 2021
- Last year the system was a little slow with all students trying to access it at the same time. Please be patient and please do not ring the school straight away if you struggle to get on. Many students last year had more success via the Bromcom Student app.
- Results will also be available on MCAS on Wednesday 11th August 2021
- Instructions for how to access results via the student portal:
Log into student portal
Note down the school ID, your username and password (to right of screen). Username should start bromcom.ashbyschool.org.uk/18-rundlebrown-v (obviously with your name at end). Password is your usual password
Press button that says ‘view exam results’
Type in school ID, username and password from previous screen
It may then ask you to set a security question
You will then be able to scroll down to access your results
STEP 2 – Next Steps
1) UCAS Applicants
Check your university status via your UCAS track account. You will fall into one of the following 3 categories:
a) Final Place > This is where you have been allocated a course - This could be your firm or your insurance choice. If it is your insurance choice it means you have not met the entry requirements of your firm choice
i) If you are happy with your allocated course/university ACCEPT your place and follow the university instructions re next steps/accommodation etc. and move to STEP 3!
ii) If you are unhappy with your allocated course/university, DO NOT make any sudden decisions and do not simply reject your choice. Think about your options and if you would like support, please contact school (details below) Beware that it can be difficult to get released from a university and if you do decide to do this, ensure you have done your research thoroughly – you will have to go through clearing (see c) and you may risk not getting a place at all.
b) Alternative offer > This is where you may be offered an alternative course at the university you applied for, as you have not met the entry requirements of the course you have applied for. Think about these offers carefully as you do not have to accept it and it may not be quite what you want to do. If you do turn this offer down and it was from your firm choice, you will probably then be accepted by your insurance choice (but check this out with the university first!) If it was from your insurance choice of university then you will probably enter clearing and will need to search for another suitable course/university. If you would like support, please contact school (details below)
c) Clearing > If you have not been accepted by your firm or insurance choice you will be entered into clearing where you can search for available alternative courses/universities. You will need to phone these universities to discuss courses/suitability etc and you will need to get a verbal offer of acceptance before officially applying for it through the UCAS clearing website. You can’t officially apply online until later in the afternoon on the 10th August so this gives you time to do your research. Clearing remains open for a few weeks after results day. If you would like support, please contact school (details below)
2) Changed your mind and now want to apply to university
You will have to apply via UCAS and automatically apply for a course through clearing. Please contact Miss McCafferty (F.Mccafferty@ashbyschool.org.uk) so that she can give you the information you need for the application and to arrange a reference for you. Please see notes above about how clearing works. If you would like support, please contact school (details below)
3) Changed your mind and now DON’T want to go to university
Don’t make any sudden decisions, think about this carefully. If you do finally decide to withdraw, you will do this via your UCAS track account. If you would like support, please contact school (details below)
4) Not going to university
You will receive an email the week after results day with a link to complete a very short online form to give details of your next steps – This is information that we are required to collect so please reply promptly. If you would like any support about your next steps, please contact school (details below)
Contacting School For Advice About Next Steps
Tuesday 10th August (RESULTS DAY) 9am-3pm > Staff available for face to face conversations (by appointment only) as well as support by phone and/or e mail
Wednesday 11th August > Staff available for support by phone and/or e mail
- Please contact the school via phone or e mail if you wish to discuss any university/careers related queries (see above) PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE APPOINTMENTS ARE NOT TO DISCUSS ANY CONCERNS YOU MAY HAVE WITH REGARD THE GRADES YOU HAVE BEEN AWARDED
- Phone number is 01530 413 748. Please ask to be put through to the Sixth Form Team
- E mail queries to F.Mccafferty@ashbyschool.org.uk
- Face to face appointments MUST BE BOOKED IN ADVANCE by phone or e mail and will be limited to ONE student accompanied by ONE parent
- Appointments will be held in the Sixth Form Centre
- We will not be able to meet with any student/parent without a pre-arranged appointment
STEP 3 – Celebrate!
We have not yet received these but when we do we will be in touch to give you details about distribution – This is likely to be at the start of the Autumn Term.
Mrs V Rundle-Brown
Director of Sixth Form & Deputy Headteacher